Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Que Saco...

I took Spanish while I was at Belmont College in Nashville and ironically enough, I got an F one semester and the teacher squeezed out a C the next for me. Why is this ironic? I had complained repeatedly why I was being forced to take a language that I would NEVER use! 9 Months later, I was living in Monterrey Mexico wishing I had paid a LOT more attention in class. Then several years later, I married a Mexican who spoke very little English. So now the beauty of being semi-bi-lingual is that I learn the idiosyncrasies of language differences. I had a great friend who was fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese, she taught me a great phrase they use in Brazil "Que Saco". Basically it means "Oh man, what a drag..." but realistically there is not literal translation, but the phrase is so powerful, I use it often.

All this to say, right now, life is making me say "Que Saco" a lot more than I wish. It is simply amazing the ways that we are attacked by many differing forces, from many differing angles, and most unexpected times. One day, life is good, the next your world is falling apart with no warning. And then what do we have to hold on to? Where do we turn for support? I am not always sure I know how to answer this. And honestly sometimes I feel like I need to suffer the pain to justify the need for a change. Martyr, glutton, whatever you call it, I just look for what works and go with it. Be it right or wrong, I don't know and am not sure that it matters...because what works for one may not work for another. In reality, I don't know how we get along in relationships at ALL when you factor in all the variables of personalities, morals, beliefs, and opinions. It is a miracle anyone stays married if you ask me!

My aunt Lila was married to my Uncle Ted for over 65 years, and all their neighbors commented how they would walk through the neighborhood holding hands and enjoying each other's companionship. As of tonight, Lila is finally together again with Ted in heaven where they don't need to worry about hearing problems, lack of vision or the effort it takes to walk across the room. While it is certainly freeing for them, I will miss them both very much. But how does a couple survive the years of trials they surely experienced, although I VERY rarely ever heard any facsimile of a complaint from either one, and yet remained obviously IN LOVE. Sure someone can COMMIT to being with someone "...in sickness and in health..." but how can they keep that magic in their lives? And be so comfortable with each other until the end? I just hope that I will be able to find that mojo and apply it to my life and wife. Love that endures all, wow, that is truly the miracle.

So in regards to Lila's death tonight: Que Saco. But then again, she is in a much better place than I right now.

Gentle rest Lila, love from all of us and we celebrate your reunion with Ted and the example you left for us all! I love you!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt Lila. It's so hard to lose people we love.

    I love the phrase Que Saco though. I hadn't heard that one before. I can speak a little Spanish, and I love the language.

    It's hilariously ironic that you ended up married to a Mexican woman after failing Spanish and never thinking you'd need it again.

    I wish I could figure out how to keep the magic alive in a marriage and make things last, but unfortunately I'm about to go through a divorce, so I can't offer much advice there. Que Saco.

    ReplyDelete