Saturday, November 21, 2009

Never too late...

It was at the end of a long engagement that the day finally happened...no, not the wedding...but the point of no return! We had dated for 2 years, both graduated college and it just seemed natural and almost expected that we marry. So we got engaged, planned the wedding to the last detail..and then it hit me. Did I really want to marry her? Don't get me wrong, there was nothing "wrong" with her, but I just didn't feel the magic. I thought about saying something to someone...anyone..but then I just chalked it up to cold feet.


Then I met Carla. Carla was a gorgeous 24 yr old law student. We met by chance as I was selling door-to-door. We had an instant rapport and she was cute, fun and just the kind of girl I would ask out on a date in a heartbeat. BUT, I was engaged. It wasn't really CARLA herself that made me reconsider my plans...it was more like who she represented: a lot more Carlas! And if I felt this way about her, was I going to keep feeeling this way and regret my marriage decision? But then the day I mentioned came...it was now too late to change my mind. The invitations had arrived from the printer! My fiance' and I had mulled over the kind of cards they would be, the paper, the font, the wording...and now here they sat on my table. Printed. Done. I simply had no way out now.

So we married. I became great friends with Carla (secretly) although we were never romantic...though it crossed our minds more than once. Eventually, she moved and I moved on anyway. Then 5 years later, I divorced my wife. We didn't have knock-down drag out fights or even hardly disagree that much actually.  We were great friends, roommates and everything you would want in a great relationship...but we were not in love. We decided before we had kids or got too far, we would end it.

So how many times have you been at the point of no return? I am here to tell you that after having followed through with something, even when I felt it was wrong...don't do it! It always seems there are far more complexities LATER than BEFORE. I now believe there is a very fine line between cold feet and a second chance to rectify the situation. So be sure you are doing the right thing before you act. I look back and see times that I failed to reverse a decision based on very loose reasoning.

We are not martyrs doomed to live in a life of painful committments or confined freedoms. If you decide something...then do it.  But just make sure you are or are not doing it for the right reasons...what you FEEL in your heart. Although we can be misled easily by our emotions, sometimes they are just trying to tell us something! SO LISTEN UP! It is NEVER TOO LATE!

1 comment:

  1. I recently made a HUGE decision of my own. To leave my husband, who'd I started dating when we were 13 years old, married at 19 years old and the father of my two children. It was tough. It's been hard. But it was so right. No matter how much I hurt sometimes, I know it was right. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to figure it out, but I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete