Saturday, January 2, 2010

The grass over there.


Don’t you hate it when you have a genuine feeling about something that is really personal to you and very deep rooted, only to hear some simple quip that squashes your validation for how you feel? I have never met anyone who was happy with who they were, how they were, or why they were. Sure it is one thing to have a crooked nose like me and wish it was straight, or legs like tree stumps and wish they were skinny. But it is a little disconcerting when a drop-dead gorgeous model goes on national tv and says she’s not happy with her butt. Or some genius teenager who has a college degree at 18 wishes he could swim. Whether it is a physical characteristic, personality trait or mental capability, we all seem to find someone else who has something we want. So why does a girl with incredibly curly blonde hair wish she had long straight black hair? And the curious thing is…the dark-haired girl envy’s the blonde. Why can’t we be happy and appreciate what we have and who we are? Why does our human nature tell us we need to “be” anyone other than who we are?

I have seen people of all ages and all possible economic statuses and all imaginable body types all say “Boy, If I only I had their legs/house/hair/brain/wife/eyes/job/parents/heritage/etc etc… And I am standing there in amazement as I think to myself, “Wow…you got it all…why in the world would you want for ANYTHING else!?” It’s got to be tiring incessantly chasing the “grass” someone else is enjoying. And my, how foolish we look to someone else who sees us and says “Why would they want for anything more?”

1 comment: