Saturday, January 9, 2010

Going out in style

For anyone born between 1961 and 1969 you have to admit, Michael Jackson was a part of the progress of us growing up. I am not saying anything about his personal lifestyle or choices he made, we all make bad decisions and I am not going to judge MJ for anything he did, said or was accused of doing. Why? Simple. It is not my place to judge anyone until I am perfect (maybe by Tuesday) and until then I am just not going to go there. But my point is this: MJ was an icon to us as we saw his transformation through the years. His music was always inspiring and ahead of it’s time production-wise. He wrote about family, love, peace, and many other things that surely stand for some of our morals today. I saw his movie “This is it” and I was amazed. I personally only own 2 albums he ever produced, but I was early to see “Zombieland” and sat in MJ’s movie for the last half. What struck me utterly between the eyes, was how humble he was, how brilliant he was musically and how his whole body, not just his voice, was a musical instrument. He could move his hands alone and look cool. I thrust and plop my body all over the place trying to dance and just end up looking somewhat similar to Jello being jiggled then thrown against a wall. Michael felt his music like no one else I have ever seen.

But his attitude toward the other team members (dancers, singers and technicians) was incredible. I mean it’s Michael Jackson for crying out loud…he could have any attitude he wanted and nobody could stop him. I have seen movie and music stars FAR less accomplished than he was try to bully their way around and DEMAND respect rather than try to earn it with their own respect of those around them. MJ was kind, appreciative, inspiring and open to suggestions all the way through. Never did he say “Do it my way or else…” but rather he made suggestions, and then was open to feedback.

Whether you stand on this side or that side of the fence when it comes to MJ, I for one was saddened at the end of the movie that we have lost a musical genius who was a part of my life since I was a child. I am glad his music will go on for a long time and maybe more people will come to know his music in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment